Medgrid works very closely with authorities in the countries involved, the EC, the scientific community, development banks and funds, NGOs.
The Medgrid engineering department has several missions:
- To design a Mediterranean transmission network able to export 5GW into Europe by 2020;
- To promote regulation favourable to investment and to the viability of generation projects on the southern rim of the Mediterranean; this will involve buy-back schemes, emissions trading, fiscal incentives, etc…
- To assess the positive effects of investment in infrastructure and electricity trading on growth, economic activity and job creation;
- To develop technical cooperation over trans-Mediterranean projects;
- To promote European technology and industry on the global market, especially in renewable electricity generation, DC technology and HVDC submarine cables.
Medgrid and Desertec: complementary ventures
Medgrid’s work is carried out in coordination with other MSP projects and with Desertec, a company working to establish large wind and solar farms around North Africa and the Middle East (MENA); Medgrid’s work on transmission systems complements these projects.
Developing large-scale solar installations and high-capacity transmission lines will enable solar energy to become truly competitive.
These installations should boost industrialisation and economic & social development in member countries.