- Former President of CIGRE, the largest worldwide organisation for high voltage power grids.
- Former President of the Supervisory board of the Ecole Supérieure d’Electricité, highest electrical engineering school in France.
- Former Chairman of the Board of RTE (French TSO) and ErDF (French DSO).
- President of MEDGRID (Consortium to develop exchanges of electricity between Europe and Mediterranean countries.)
- First CEO and founder of RTE, the French Transmission System Operator Company.
- Former Special Adviser of the European Commissioner for Energy.
- Co-founder and Past Chairman of the European Transmission System Operator Association.
Prior to the creation of the Electricity Market in France, André MERLIN got several senior positions in Electricité de France in the field of Transmission and Conventional Generation and Research and Development.
Fluent in three languages, he graduated from Ecole Polytechnique and from the Ecole Supérieure d’Electricité in Paris. He is the author of more than one hundred papers in the field of power systems.